Monday, May 18, 2009

Written - May 6th - Welcome to the Trailer

Alright here are a few photos of the trailer:


(I don't have one of the outside right now but I will get it soon)

When you look in this is what you see:




There used to be a small kitchenette thing in there. It was 2 cupboard doors and a piece of board on top. It was really hard to handle and get into. I was having issues with getting the doors open and trying to figure out what we would do with it in there. We ended up deciding that instead of buying more things (AKA spending more money that we need to) we would use things we had in the house. DH tore it all out on Saturday and I emptied my dresser. We put the dresser in there. After much measuring we thought we had it perfect but we were a bit wrong. It fits in that spot just fine... but closing the trailer would be an issue. We had to chisel a little spot out of the board by the boys bed. It works out perfectly now. DH even managed to do a bit of wiring and move the electrical cord down. It works really well now.

We plan on using the dresser for that 'few days' worth of clothes. Each of us will get a drawer. I let the boys pick their drawers. K wants the bottom one (fine with me) and Q wants the one above it. That works just fine for DH and I. He will have the top drawer and I will have the next down. Right now the have things in there that will be put in different places over the campsite. An example is a black portable shower. This is just for hot water for us. Every morning we will fill it up and have access to semi hot water during the day. It should work well. But the drawers have things like that in there now.

To the right side of the photo you can see where the boys will sleep. We moved their mattress that came with the trailer to our side. I felt that the boys could handle something else. So now they are sleeping on Q's mattress that we got from IKEA last summer. It fits a little snug but well. They will be sleeping feet to feet (they have been 'practising' in the house on their air mattress on the floor). There is a bit of a ledge at the back of the mattress to the screen. I'm going to make that into a play area, or at least some place extra to 'store' things.

On the Left side of the photo you see the bench for the table. This table comes down and can also be another double bed. As for now we have no plans to make it into a double bed (maybe we will take the table out since we will have one outside the trailer) but we aren't 100% sure what we will be doing.

This next photo shows you the boys bed:




There is a little 'box' hole in there. It's for random things. I think we will be putting in things that we would like the kids to have access too. So things like a few toys, books, tissues and maybe some sunscreen. I'm thinking of making that the spot to put their shoes and hats but again, still not 100% sure what to do there. There will be a lot of changing our minds in the first week or so at the trailer. I hope it all works out OK.

We will be using K's comforter to add a bit of padding to the mattress. Then a plastic cover (as we are PT'ing Q) and then their sheets. We have white sheets right now and I *know* that won't last long. We are going to look for some new sheets at some sales coming up. Also we got a GREAT comforter pad/cover from a friend. It's all primary colours so I'm excited about using that. Then there should be no 'fights' on who gets what and when. I also hope to stop at walmart on the way out of town tomorrow and find some more yarn to finish up their blankets. Then we should be good to go!

When we pack we are only bringing 2 sets of sheets for the bed. But me being the crazy one does have an extra set for both beds in the storage unit which is close to our trailer.

I am also going to be doing some sewing this weekend at my grandmas house. A friend and I went to IKEA last night and looked at new drapes to use in the trailer. The ones I bought from IKEA last year are too small for the boys section (you can't see but on the roof is a sliding panel. It look likes the drapes that were there were torn out so I'm going to attempt to make new ones. I measured everything up and it was a bit bigger that what I had. My friend gave me a set in her house she wasn't using. They are red and white and basically look like 'black out' ones. They are perfect! I'm going to work on measuring and pinning today and Friday and Saturday my grandma and I are going to get everything ready for it. I'm also hoping to make some small one for the back section of the boys area. I want the air to move through it but not have the screen area open all the time. I'm worried about the boys not napping and just looking out the window. So I'm hoping a curtain will help a bit. But who knows!

This photo is from the boys bed shooting straight onto the other side of the trailer:



You can see where DH and I will be sleeping. We did double the mattress. We have some double sheets from our early marriage days that we will be using for this bed. As well as another set we bought last summer. We are thinking about what to use as a comforter but we aren't 100% sure yet. We have to have a few different options in case it's cold at night, or hot! So right now we have our IKEA comforter we got as well as an old one we got when we were first married.

I am also hoping that if I can get enough material from the curtains then I will try to make us a cover for our window. The other thing I want to do (and I'm sure I'm running out of Velcro by this point) is to make something that will help roll up the canvas from unzipping the window. You can see it laying on the bed. This weekend the boys have been jumping on it and making a mess and making DH and I scared that something will happen to it. So I thought if I could Velcro it up then it would be out of the way and safe for the kids.

You can't see but on the roof is the light that came with the trailer. When we first moved in it was hard to use. It didn't work well and it always seemed to be too dark. Last summer when DH and my dad were working on it they took it off, cleaned it up and had a blast doing it! Now it works really well. BUT we wanted to add a bit of light for those rainy days, or those days that we just can't seem to have enough light. So yesterday DH screwed some things into the ceiling and we attached 2 small battery powered fluorescent lights to the roof. We can take them off which is a HUGE bonus. I also painted the roof again to add a bit of 'light' back into it (I just painted white but I like it).

Also the table is in the photo. It's just on a poll so you can take it out or keep it in really easy. We have eaten a few meals on that one already. It looks like it will work out really well. I am a bit worried about the pads for the seats. I don't have any covers (as of yet) and I don't think I will for a while. I am hoping that we can get it to work without the covers. If we need some I'll just check ValueVillage for some sheets and pin them on I guess. I hope that we can clean them this weekend while we are at my parents house but who knows!

Anyway I guess that's it for the tour of the trailer! I'm going to go and take some photos of the outside today and once it's closed up so you can get an idea.

BTW I know we are *crazy* for doing this but I hope you readers will allow us the 'fun' of being *crazy*, even if it's just for the summer!

And just for fun:






As a side note---- does anyone know what is the best program to use to upload photos onto blogger? Their photo thing sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment